Thursday, 22 January 2009

I'm here and alive

so this is so i'm not writing the same thing in 30,000 emails (even though i love you and would love to have the time to do that). i'm in london and the first few days have been pretty eventful. first of all, there was a little trouble with the airlines- from my original flight being cancelled to my baggage still being lost. but i'm in london and other than being pretty obnoxious, that doesn't really matter to me. my flat is gorgeous (and spacious without any of my stuff haha). our living room is so nice and we have a kitchen etc. I have 5 flatmates and share my room with one of them.  Everyone seems pretty nice and we've been exploring little by little together.  I even found a bikram yoga studio nearby! I received what will probably be my internship (I have to interview but hopefully it will work out).  I would be working at this place called with the Fred Hollows organization, an NGO that works towards preventing blindess in developing countries and also removes cataracts for people there, etc. It seems pretty neat but I won't be interviewing until mid-February.  I received my classes today too so I'll be taking anthropology, history of london, and a class at a local university (however i'm still looking to switch that class). We took a tour yesterday of London and it's pretty amazing, there's so much to do and the city's really nice.  I'm more homesick than I thought I'd be for all of you but I guess that's the thing about study abroad, you've just got to jump and do it. Everyone seems nice, i've only known them a few days but we've gone out together and they're sweet. My flat and two other flats have been hanging out which is fun and i'm sure when classes start we'll meet even more people. i like living in a city but i miss the convenience of college park where everything is 10 minutes away. anyways, overall i'm having a good time! hope everything's good where you guys are, will write soon and would love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rach!
    It's Josh. I glad to hear you are having a good time and sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the airline. Not much is going on for me as I move through this life in a program, so there's not much to say other than I think I am doing better and I love you and I wish you luck with all of your endeavors.
    Love you so much you wouldn't believe,
    Joshua A Leven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You started a blog! Love to hear that you are getting settled, I can't wait to see pictures posted here too. Keep us posted once or twice a week okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that it is quite difficult to settle down in such countries. But happy to know that you are happy and having fun with your friends.

    ReplyDelete